Monday, November 1, 2010

fourth and fifth week

I'm pretty sure I need to cover fourth and fifth week in this blog.. again. playing catch up, and again, only in blogging.
Last weekend (the 23rd) was family weekend, and Nana, Leigh and my Dad came up here to visit. Of course, I happened to be really busy that weekend, but we still had a lot of fun. I played three lacrosse games (well, I played two, but the team played three) and then went out for dinner with the family. We ate at Noodles, which was good as usual. Overall we had a very Asian-themed weekend. We ate at Noodles on Friday night (not Saturday), then Saturday after my games, we went downtown and ate Thai food before hanging out at the hotel and going to sleep. Needless to say, I can't wait to go home for Thanksgiving! Seeing Rebecca all dressed up for Halloween really makes me miss being home- though I did get to hand out candy to trick-or-treaters in the dorm.
Let me back-track for a second:

The Sunday of family weekend I got dropped off pretty early back at the dorm and did some homework before heading back downtown for brunch with Graeme's parents and some shopping (though I didn't buy anything, the boys needed boots) The rest of Sunday was essentially homework day, like Sundays are becoming... Then last week was mostly uneventful. It was pretty normal homework-wise (it really doesn't ever let up), but I did get to have an awesome skype date with Emily and Will! We played bananagrams via skype which was insane and awesome. Emily won.. only because she was building on the floor instead of crammed on a desk ;)
but no, she really won legitimately. we should probably have a rematch though.. it was a well-needed study break!

This past weekend was Halloween weekend, and was also rather eventful. My family brought my lego costume from last year up so I could wear it again! I went to a Lacrosse party on Friday night, and then slept in Saturday morning for a change. I saw Arlene at breakfast and she told me that one of my friends from high school and one of her friends from high school had spontaneously decided to make the 6-7 hour trek from Danville, KY up here for the Obama rally. So I spent parts of the afternoon helping then get unlost in the very Southside of Chicago... It's not typically a good idea to be lost on East 73rd street, haha, but they finally made it, and we headed out to the rally with some of the kids in my house. We got there around 330 or 4, and Obama spoke at 7, 715ish, so we got to do a lot of cramped standing around. There was a band playing for a while called Dot Dot Dot (... ?) and Common came on and performed for about 15 minutes. Then we heard from Democratic candidates and current Democratic congressmen and the alderwoman from Hyde Park who got the crowd riled up for Obama's speech. The theme for the rally was really Moving America Forward, and there was a continuous urge to get out and vote. I, of course, realized as I went to put my absentee ballot request in the mailbox that it needs to be in the office a week before the election. Well, I was putting it in the mailbox a week before the election.. whoops. This is what happens when Nov 1 is on a monday! haha =P So I guess I'm not voting... we had lots of fun at the rally anyway, and then grabbed some pizza for dinner and helped get some friends ready for halloween! I stayed in Saturday night, and went to bed early so I could get up early and work out. No pain in my hamstring, so I think I'm good!

Yesterday I went downtown with Graeme for breakfast, and then to the Art Institute where I met Aunt Kit and her friend Michelle. We went through the miniatures, which are so amazing-- MaMa definitely needs to come up here to see them! It was really nice to see Aunt Kit and do some catching up before they headed out to grab some food, and Graeme and I explored the parts of the Art Institute that I didn't get to see last time I was there- Picasso, Miro', Magritte, El Greco... It's amazing to see all of the paintings they have!
I donned my Lego once more yesterday evening because we had trick-or-treaters in the dorm. I grossly underestimated how much candy I would need, and ran out rather early, which was sad. So I wandered the halls because I didnt want to take my Lego off... and had to pose for a few pictures on the way, haha. "Honey, get in a picture with Lego Lady" One mom did call me spongebob too, but then insisted thatI was so yellow that I had startled her, and it was quite clear that I was indeed a Lego, haha.

Today I took my last midterm - Computer Science, and it went really well. Don't worry, I wore my Chrome tshirt for luck. I hadn't worn it yet and figured today was as good as any! Now just to make it through this week.. I'm cooking study break next Wednesday and need to decide what I'm going to make (if the kitchen is clean enough to even function in.... =P ) Now, off to do math homework! proofs, proofs, proofs.. oh, and write letters. letters and proofs. until next time!

over and out,

Lynn


1 comment:

  1. I wish you would have gotten that ballot in....it would have been one more for the democrats.....right? :)

    ReplyDelete